Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 2

This morning, Autumn and I couldn't figure out how to light the stove to make eggs. So, I settled for some cornflakes and milk, although I didn't like the taste of the milk :-/

We started the day by feeding the horses hay. We used pitch forks to separate the hay from the big hay bales and then proceed to feed the horses in their stables. We did this by yelling "back, back, back" really loudly at each horse until it moved its head away from us. We then pitched some hay over the door and into their individual stables! [click for photo] Once each horse was fed, we swept the excess hay back into its compartment. Also, Autumn & I were able to brush the baby horse! It was so little and it loves to be brushed!

For the rest of the morning, I went back into the barn with Joe to scoop some cow poop while the other girls & Autumn cleaned out a storage room filled with random things. I chose to scoop poop over clean the storage room because I feared the many spiders within! The only thing different about the scooping today versus yesterday was that the cows were IN their stables today & I had to scoop around them! It was a bit frightening because they are so huge and close to me, but I did my best to remain calm.

Next, I set the sheep free from their pen & scooped away their poop until lunch time.

My interesting lunch:

I decided to eat some left-over stew today that appeared to have beef, chick-peas and potatoes in it. It was really tasty and reminded me of Mom's stew from back home. Once I was half-way done eating it, Barbara kindly informed me that I was eating Ostrich Meat - the giant, ugly, mean birds which I seriously dislike! I couldn't believe it. Everyone laughed at the face I made, but I finished my plate regardless of me being grossed out -- after all, it tasted like beef before I knew it was ostrich..haha.

After lunch we had a few hours to rest, then we fed more hay to the Horses & the ponies :-) I love the ponies! [click for photo] They look like midget-"emo"-horses because their mane is very long and covers one eye haha. [click for photo]

After work today, I walked around the farm and took some of my own pictures (I have been relying on autumn until today). It was so nice to see everything on my off-time. My favorite little kitten on the farm kept me company on my walk and then Billy, the dog, ran around with me while I visited the ducks, deer & goats. It was so cool. When I went into the barn, all of the animals were sleeping! The cows were lying down and didn't move much as I walked around. The pigs on the other hand---- YIKES --- as soon as I walked towards their pen, they jumped up and started angrily & loudly oinking at me. If their mission was to get me out of there, it worked!

It has been raining a lot today, and everything is wet! The rain also makes our room a bit cold/musty... but I'm doing my best to ignore it. Tomorrow, Autumn and I hope to go into town for the market. Robyn says we can find some fairly cheap things there, but it is only on Thursdays! So, I hope to get some of the following necessities while there:

  • Cheap, disposable T-shirts (to work in)

  • Sweatshirts (didn't bring any)

  • More long pants to work in

  • Anti-itch cream for the mosquito bites!

  • SOCKS! (ours are being ruined)

  • Working Gloves (to protect my hands from blisters)


along with many other things & maybe even some carrots to feed the bunnies!

Until tomorrow -- Buona Sera

No comments:

Post a Comment